We hear a lot about mold; it can be a confusing subject. Cheese and mold – they go hand in hand. Penicillin and antibiotics are created from molds. And wherever you look in nature, you’re likely to find mold. It’s a decaying mechanism; nature would be overwhelmed with large amounts of organic matter if mold didn’t do its part.

So what makes it bad?Understanding The Bad Mold Potentially In Your Home

While many molds are harmless and beneficial, many more can be toxic and pose health threats to humans. The word toxic refers to a mold that produces hazardous compounds. Often included in this list is Stachybotrys Chartarum, a greenish-black mold that can grow on home materials such as drywall, paper, paper, and lint, all which is commonplace throughout our homes.

When any of these materials become wet, it sets off a chain reaction that can release the potentially harmful mold. It can cause a chain reaction that causes various symptoms including:

  • Allergic reactions
  • Irritation of eyes, nose, and throat
  • Flu-like symptoms
  • Headaches
  • Worsening of asthma

It’s important to understand that your HVAC system does not generate mold. HVAC systems contain metallic surfaces that will not let organic matter mold grow and thrive. However, if your HVAC system is not properly maintained, it can support mold growth. Your HVAC system should be:

  • Designed and installed correctly
  • Properly maintained with regular maintenance to find problems before they grow
  • Provide proper filtration methods to keep your air clean
  • Working to control moisture throughout your building

If you suspect mold in your home, the first step is to alert your HVAC contractor immediately. If there is mold, the next step is to identify the type and establish whether it’s toxic. If so, evacuation, abatement, and remediation may be necessary.

Do you suspect mold growth in your home?